See how ground source heat pumps compare to other heating systems
Compare ground source heat pumps to air source heat pumps, oil and LPG boilers, and biomass systems.
The inherent efficiency of ground source heat pumps means they can deliver the lowest running costs of any type of heating system and the best return from the RHI, giving you payback on your investment typically in 5 or 6 years.
Ground source heat pumps compared to oil boilers or LPG
- Unsightly fuel storage tank
- Hassle of organising fuel deliveries
- Possibility of fuel theft
- Pay for the energy upfront all in one go
- Complicated installation compared to ground source
Ground source heat pumps compared to air source heat pumps
- Winter time efficiency affected by cold weather
- Running costs go up when you need heating the most!
- Output reduces with air temperature
- Needs planning permission due to noise
- Exposed to the outside elements
- “Real” outputs limited to ~11kW limits potential to smaller homes
Ground source heat pumps compared to biomass boilers
- Space required for fuel storage
- Forces reliance on regular fuel deliveries
- High maintenance compared with ground source heat pumps
- Planning permission required due to emissions
The savings on our energy bills compared with oil is fantastic and our house value has increased as a result of the installation - we’re over the moon!"